Andy and I were sitting at dinner the other night - a rare night out just the two of us - and my amazing Mom texted me about a dozen pictures of what she was doing with the load of produce they were harvesting up at the cabin. This is one she sent me:
Mom: End of garden relish... Lime and cilantro cabbage salad... All garden.
Sally: MMMMM!!! Wow. Yum. Love it! Can you send me the recipes?
(She sends more pictures of the amazing things she's making)
Just to be clear: that MOM!! could sound exasperated, but it was quite the opposite: I was trying to express my amazement at the sheer volume of what she's creating up there, which I know is inspired (and necessitated) by the volume of produce from the garden. What I think is so awesome is that in addition to all the salsas and the stewed tomatoes and fresh salads (standard use-up-your-produce fare), she's also finding such yummy and creative ways to use it all up, and enjoy it.
Because what's the point if we're not enjoying it, right?!
So she found this recipe from Detoxinista (wha?, it's detoxifying?! bonus!), and put her own little Cabin Garden spin on it. Particularly, my mom is not a fan of sesame oil, so decided to use some of her homemade infused grapeseed oil with tarragon and basil...
I know, right? Beautiful! More on those oils later, because I think they're sooo super cool and lovely and might even make some lovely gifts for the holidays... oh, sorry; too soon? TOO SOON! OK.
And then of course the ingredients shifted a bit based on what she had on hand from the garden. My Mom had a bunch of peppers she wanted to use up, so threw in some hot peppers for a kick, and some green peppers because - well, why not? And that's the best thing about salads... you just throw in there what you've got on hand and what sounds good to you.
ALL these salad ingredients came straight from the garden, to the table. Love it.
- For the salad:
- 12 oz. shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded or chopped carrots (whatever you prefer)
- .5 cup mix of peppers (some green, some hot - to your taste)
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- large handful of fresh cilantro
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons diced shallot
- 2 tablespoons raw honey, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- mixed with either 1/2 tsp. sesame oil, or other oil of your choosing (we used infused grapeseed oil with tarragon and basil)
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth. Adjust flavors to taste.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl, and toss well with the prepared dressing. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge before serving.
Up next: a little video tour of where the garden was at over Labor Day. I have way too much footage and need a little time to edit it down, but WOW, it's a sight to be seen. I can't wait to share it with you!