So last week when I was up at the cabin thinning beets with Jer-Bear, he sent me home with so many bags of leafy beet greens and adorable little beets that I decided I needed to get over my somewhat mild feelings about beets. And, you guys, I MADE UP ANOTHER RECIPE! And it was goooood. Nutty, with a bit more than a hint of sweet, and then some savory in there, too. And it's another simple one, cause that's how I roll, if I'm going to roll in the kitchen. Ya know?
I do have to say, as I started experimenting, I was reminded of this amazing salad on Pinch of Yum - one of my favorite food blogs. Linsday is always creating really delicious recipes, and after I discovered the amazing power salad I made it for several weeks. And the flavor mix in it is similar to this one: nutty, but sweet. Ohhhh, it's good. They could be salad cousins.
Plus, healthy! BEETS, for goodness sake. Quinoa! I even threw in some beet greens. Greens are healthy, people! I am feeling good about that. ...I did have to throw in some cheese because I love cheese and all things are better with feta... That is surely a fact, somewhere.
If it weren't such a great summer salad, I would suggest making it around Christmas because it's got all this RED in it... the beets (of course), red onions, craisins... and of course the beets turn the quinoa red. So it's very red. Kind of like my hands after I chopped up the beets. Hmmm.
But who cares?! It's worth it.
- 1 cup quinoa
- Handful of craisins
- Handful of pistachios, chopped
- Handful of feta cheese
- 5 small beets, or 3 large ones
- 2 or 3 small garlic
- Handful of beet greens, chopped
- 1 small red onion, or half of a big one
- 1 tbsp honey and water for dressing, whisked
- Roast the cut and peeled beets (I chopped them into smaller chunks)
- Rinse and cook the quinoa. Let cool.
- Add onions, pistachios, feta, craisins, garlic
- Cut up a handful of beet greens
- Mix all together with beets
- Whisk honey with some water and drizzle on top.
- Want it sweeter? Add more honey!