Ok, it's the week after Thanksgiving, and at the rise of the insane (and awesome!) time of year when there are 30 parties (and 30 parties to find baby-sitters for!), and gifts to find and deals to take advantage of, and oh, the food we must eat! So, we gotta keep this simple, people. Which is exactly the mode I was in this a few weekends back when I was up at the cabin with a few friends. I wanted a simple and healthy little snack. And I am a snacker. So I'm always on the hunt for healthy(er) snacks.
So, I pulled out a can of garbanzo beans. Or, as I call them: chickpeas.
And since this blog is about what comes out of the garden, I threw in some of our chopped pepper mix from the freezer to spice things up a bit. And then some of our homemade dried peppers... which I'll be sharing more about soon... And added lime. Seriously, that's about it.
I love snacks like that.
Let me just say this: the friends who I was with on this weekend away were VERY skeptical of my little chickpeas idea. They skeptically watched as I threw all this together. But guess what??
THEY LIKED IT! There was request for more... but sadly, we only had 1 can of beans.
We will not be making that mistake again in the future!
- 1 can of Garbanzo Beans
- Chopped Jalapeños, spicy peppers (we used ones we had frozen from the garden)
- Dried peppers for added spice (you can use red pepper flakes)
- 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and cover a baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Rinse and dry one the beans
- sprinkle with a little EVOO, salt and pepper
- toss with 2 Tbsp of chopped peppers
- Sprinkle with more dried hot peppers (if you've got them) for added spice
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime onto bean mixture.
- Spread onto tinfoil and pop into oven for about 20-30 minutes, depending on how well-cooked you want them!
- NOTES: You can easily double this recipe. Which I recommend. I mean, 1 can of garbanzo beans doesn't get you very far! :) Or is that just me?