Happy Saturday! Weekends are the best, aren't they? Especially when you can wake up, pop something delicious in the oven that you prepped the night before, and then just.... mmmmmm.... breathe in the amazing aroma of what is baking... and wait for the awesomeness. That is a made-up word, but it feels right.
Yes, I'm talking about the Eggbake! Ahh, the Eggbake. The classic weekend brunch go-to up at the cabin. Or for a baby shower... or football game... or just because we got tired of pancakes. (Yes, sometimes we get tired of pancakes!)
But like all things up at the cabin, we put our own little twist on it. One of the distinguishing characteristics of our Garden Fresh Italian Eggbake is that we go to the local meat market, Daeffler's, and get their organic-fed ground pork... which is really awesome. I am not necessarily a MEAT girl; I mean, I'll eat it, but don't need it. But this meat? This meat is reallllly good. (I would link to their website, but they don't have one. They don't need it! People come from near and far to get the goods from Daeffler's.) And with that base, it's hard to go wrong. To amp up the healthy factor even more, we leave out the bread base (you gotta be sure you cook it long enough so it isn't runny, without the bread to soak it all up), and instead throw in broccoli (fresh from the garden!), and chopped zucchini (fresh from the garden!). Sprinkle on some cheese; Pour in some eggs...
We also used a bunch of fresh herbs from the garden, whisked into the eggs... oregano, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, parsley. Throw it all in there. For the final act of awesome (??), layer on those tomatoes with some italian parsley ... and oh man. It is one of my all-time faves. And then you bake it.
And then you eat it. With a sense of satisfaction that hopefully accompanies most weekends. Healthy. Filling. Soooo delicious. And EASY! I only do easy. This one is easy. (And so awesomely share-able!) Awesomely. Made that one up, too.
- 1 lb good pork sausage
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 8 oz. package mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3.5 cups of milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh herbs (we used Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Tarragon, Parsley)
- Sliced tomatoes
- Spray a large glass cake pan or casserole dish with olive-oil spray
- Sauté pork and onion and drain on a paper towel - set aside
- Layer sausage, broccoli and chopped zucchini
- Spread shredded mozzarella parmesan cheese over the meat layer
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, fresh herbs
- Pour over casserole. Top with sliced tomatoes. Garnish with fresh Italian parsley.
- Refrigerate covered overnight, or at least several hours
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for about an hour, or until the knife in the middle comes out clean.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve with fresh garden salsa